Artemesia Gentileschi (1593-1652) Italian. Baroque painter.
If you take art history, there’ll be millions of dudes, and not many ladies (true story. No man-hate though, since I worship loads of male artists). Linda Nochlin in the 70s was all about bringing more attention to women artists, so go read her essay “Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists?”, since it’s cool.
Artemesia is exceptional.
And her work is often interpreted as unconsciously dealing with her experience of being raped (according to her backstory, at age 19, she was raped by her painting tutor, Agostino Tassi, who had been hired by her father Orazio. Look at the Susanna and the Elders painting with this in mind. Seriously.) So her subject matter is often tough ladies dealing with hard times, particularly her Judith series. Good stuff.
- singersargents likes this
- kure-syuh reblogged this from arcmagnus and added:
- hallowedqueen likes this
- adriabustley reblogged this from arcmagnus
- liesscaroursouls reblogged this from arcmagnus
- mariyuki likes this
- brilliantly-akward reblogged this from arcmagnus
- blondedumonde reblogged this from arcmagnus and added:
- sanakirjalapsi likes this
- dangerous-ladies likes this
- christinacoleart likes this
- hatlesssheep reblogged this from blackpooled
- lion8 likes this
- f3nto likes this
- nighttimesshare likes this
- blackpooled reblogged this from arcmagnus
- chu-to likes this
- imugarou likes this
- suchekomnaty likes this
- adultland likes this
- alltheprofoundwhatever reblogged this from arcmagnus and added:
- artofinfanta likes this
- oseikereblog reblogged this from arcmagnus and added:
- arcmagnus posted this
Ask me anything Submit